Sunday, July 08, 2012

Rachel Vignettes II

How can it not be a good day when you walk out to your car and find your daughter writing "I love my dad so much" on the condensation that formed on a side window?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rachel (using the Stack the States app on my iPhone): "Where is Pierre?"
Dad: "Pierre is in South Dakota. I believe it's the capital. Even though it looks like Pee-air, it's pronounceed peer....Wasn't pier one of your spelling words?"
Rachel: "Yes, p-i-e-r..."
Dad: "Good!"
Rachel: "I can spell anything if it has "pie" in it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We're at lunch today and the kids menu has drawings of the planets 1-9 BF (before Pluto) We're giving Rachel hints. We get to planet #7 and Rebecca is saying, "Think of a body part...Uuuuuuuu..." And as I'm starting to think, "I hope my 9-year-old doesn't know the word 'anus'", I hear Rachel exclaim, "Uterus!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rebecca: "Rachel, let your daddy sleep. He has slept two hours and has to be back at work at midnight. Make yourself a sandwich if you get hungry."

Front door closed and locked at 6:30 p.m.

6:32 p.m. Our bedroom. "Daddy, could you make me some popcorn?"

Sigh.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Babysitting Tip: If you watch my child and happen to make a disparaging remark about one or both parents, you will be reported. And you were
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My self-professed "I'm a tomboy, not a girlie girl" spent ten minutes in Target yesterday showing me her favorite dolls-Barbie Fashionista, Liv and Littlest Pet Shop among them. Methinks she doth protest too much.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife, an art teacher, is staying after school all week, gluing hundreds of nuts to pots. I admit it, I'm kinda afraid to go to sleep.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rachel is studying Ray Charles as her famous Georgian. I asked her what she remembered about him. After a few facts about his childhood, we moved on to his music. She says, "He is known for his versions of 'Georgia On My Mind' and 'Hit Me Baby One More Time.'". I gently correct her. "That was 'Hit The Road Jack.'". That sound you hear is Ray Charles rolling over in his grave!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sooo...I'm driving Rachel home yesterday and I'm listening to one of her radio stations, because I'm trying to get current with her music. This song by Far East Movement comes on, "Like A G6" Doesn't make much sense to me, so I ask, "What are they saying? Like a Cheesestick?" Uncontrollable laughter in the back seat. I start rewriting the song extemporaneously, weaving in marinara and stuff like that. More unstifled giggling. Good times, good times!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My favorite part of Thursday's Parent-Teacher Conference was hearing that Rachel came into the classroom exasperated Wednesday and gasped to her 3rd grade teacher, "Sorry I'm late. Traffic was a BEAR!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I put in an old Kidz Bop CD into the car's CD player.
"You still like this, right?" I ask Rachel. "Or have you outgrown it?"
"It's passe'" she replies.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks like the sense of humor gene got passed on:
"Hey, dad! Do you know how to wake up Lady Gaga? Poke her face!"
(Laughing) "Where did you hear that?"
"I just made it up!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home