Sunday, July 08, 2012

Rachel Vignettes

A lot of good Rachel stories have slipped past due to me being busy with one thing or another.  So, I'm going to combine them into a short space.  Let's call them Rachel Vignettes.

I was filling out a form today and didn't want Rachel to see my annual income. So I instructed her to turn around. And she did. Again and again and again--in a continuous circle--until I instructed her to stop.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Child's Fathers Day Poem To Me

I'm just like dad
Yes just like dad
We love sunset
The wind blows when we hug
Love him so
Yes I love him
We kid around
not everyone likes us
... Dad your the best
at everything
Dad I love you
Rachel
2012

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, it's book fair week at the Davis Academy. One of the books that fascinated Rachel is about the human body. So as I'm driving her to school this morning, she asks, "Daddy, what is sperm?" "Stay cool!" my brain says. "It's the part of the daddy that gets together with the mommy's egg to make a baby," I reply. "And it gets in through the mommy's stomach when people cuddle?" she asks. I did...n't know that's what Rebecca told her and I answer, "It's a bit more complicated than that." A few seconds later, I hear her laughing, "This looks likes a sausage with water coming off it." I'm getting bug-eyed like one of the Little Rascals. "What are you looking at?" I ask with trepidation. "A nerve cell," she replies. "Phew!" I say to myself as my brain wipes away the imaginary sweat forming on my forehead.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Look what Rachel wrote!

Her class wrote metaphor poems based on a color….

Purple are the wiggles I feel inside.

Purple is the grapes on a vine.

Purple is the sunset before the night,

... then I see the stars shining bright.

~Rachel 2012
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whenever we go out to eat and three straws are always placed on the table, Rachel always makes sure to grab the middle one. She says it reminds her of herself, between mommy and daddy. Love that child!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Phone rings at 6:30 p.m. Rachel at her first-ever sleepover, 30 minutes away. She wants to know if I'll drive over to give her a kiss.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I go check on Rach tonight. I pour my heart out as I speak softly about how much I love her, how beautiful she is, how I hope she gets into her new school,. Kiss her gently on the face and hand. She doesn't budge. Finally, after letting me express how I feel for two minutes, she rolls toward me and says in a soft voice, "You know I'm not asleep, right?" Then she rolls over and resumes trying to fall asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home