Thursday, December 20, 2007

Rough Patch

As I have mentioned before, Rachel has one eye that is weaker than the other. To make sure the weaker eye strengthens, we cover the stronger eye with a patch, which she is to wear at least four hours a day.

She is not fond of the eyepatch. Sometimes, we appease her by letting her decorate it first. She usually takes as long as she can to color it. Once on, she finds some reason to cry, but we know it is an effort to loosen the adhesive. Other times, she says it itches and rubs the eyepatch until it loosens up just enough for her to peek out with her stronger eye.

Yesterday, I saw the adhesive has loosened again, just enough for her to cock her head at a certain angle to watch her Wiggles videos. Without saying a word, I went to the kitchen, got some tape and taped down the eyepatch, as Rachel exclaimed, "Oh no! No! No! No! No!"

I left her to watch the video and logged on to this computer. After 20-30 minutes, I realized it was quiet in the living room. Too quiet. However, Rachel was not up to no good. She was on her back, eyepatch still in place, snoozing. I decided to leave her there. I carried her to her bed around three hours later.

When she woke up this morning, she was ticked. "You let me sleep with my eyepatch on!" she admonished me. "I could have choked!"

She has now been awake an hour. I'm still trying to understand how the two are related.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home