Saturday, April 07, 2007

Winnie the Jew?

My wife and daughter were having a conversation the other day when Rachel referred to her shirt as her "Jewish shirt."

The shirt featured Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger, Rabbit and friends. Confused, my wife asked Rachel why she called it her "Jewish shirt."

"Because it has Winnie the Pooh on it," Rachel replied.

My wife told Rachel she didn't think Winnie was Jewish or Christian. "He's nondenominational," she explained. "I don't know if he's any one religion," she added.

Rebecca was relating the conversation to me later and I thought it merited further discussion.

"Maybe his name was originally Poohstein and he shortened it for showbiz," I opined. "I think the only thing we know for certain is that Piglet is not Jewish," I said. I then added hastily, "Unless he's a convert."

"In fact," I added, "I hear 'Oh Bother' may have originally been 'Oy Vey.'"

"And his affinity for honey," Rebecca said, "actually comes from the apples and honey tradition of Rosh Hashanah."

"You got it!" I affirmed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home